6-Week Brand Laboratory Program
Build your brand the right way the first time, sis.
You’re building a business — ready to do everything it takes to make it happen — and you know that presentation matters. You know that looks matter — even when we try to pretend they don’t. You know that what will get you to the next level and set you apart from the crowd is looking the part. And to do that, you have to do more than just build a business. You have to build a BRAND.
The truth is that most folks have no idea how to make the transition from business to brand or how to keep it consistent. But this is my superpower, sis, and I want to help.
The Brand Laboratory 6-week coaching program is the shortcut and guidance I wish I had when I was getting started.
I want to save you the YEARS I spent learning by trial and error.
The impact of branding is that it helps people to trust you. It helps them decide to do business with you and lets you stand out from the crowd. It communicates quality in a way that words alone do not.
BUT — branding also takes real work, and most folks just aren’t sure where to start, much less how to make consistent brand choices, especially without the help of a whole creative team to do it all for you.
As a result, your visuals end up being all over the place, nothing feels consistent, and you have no idea how to pull it all together.
Even more, you know that this inconsistency creates the perception that you’re just winging it — not really giving your business all the attention it needs. Cause the truth is that even if you are winging it, you don’t want to look like you’re winging it.
You need your branding to look like the FUTURE of your business, not the inconsistent present. The only way to do that is to learn how to build a brand, so you can make consistent choices every day, whether you have a creative team or not.
Let me teach you how to do it.
Hey brand builder! I’m Jennae Petersen, designer extraordinaire and brand magician. For more than 17 years, I’ve helped business owners bring the ideas that lived only in their minds to life in a tangible, beautiful way. I’m a branding coach and designer who understands innately how to create a BRAND from an idea, and make ALL the visuals feel like part of the same ecosystem. For almost 2 decades, I specialized in giving my clients’ businesses and brands a million-dollar look to match their million-dollar goals — and then watched them achieve those goals.
I’ve crafted brands and built websites for:
- Best-selling author and sought-after speaker and writer, Luvvie Ajayi
- In-demand photographers and best-selling authors, CreativeSoul Photography
- Natural hair trailblazer Koils by Nature
- Emmy-nominated blogger and TV host Oneika Raymond
- Group travel pioneer Travel Divas
- …and so many more Black women who are thought leaders and pioneers.
And now, I want to help you do the same for yourself. Here’s how:
The BLUE AGATE CREATIVE BRAND LABORATORY is a 6-week coaching program during which I’ll teach you, step-by-step, how to create a well-thought-out, carefully and beautifully designed brand. It will teach you how to make the kind of consistent brand decisions that it will take to grow.
In this 6-week course, I’ll help you and your business get unstuck with comprehensive guidance to solidifying your entire brand presentation, from your brand name to story and visuals, so you can walk in confidence that your branding represents you and your business authentically. Because guess what? Having a brand that accurately represents who you are and who you want to serve helps people trust you and choose to work with you — which will help you make more money, faster.
You will be part of an intimate group of 12 women who are fiercely committed to building amazing brands, and who want to do it with guidance and a like-minded community to hold you accountable and commiserate over challenges and celebrate wins.
We will also have live coaching calls, during which I will offer real-time guidance on brand-building and be able to answer your specific questions AND address any resistance that might come up as you work through the lessons.
And resistance very well may come up, as it often does when you’re in expansion mode. This is when it is important to have a trusted coach to help you work through not just the strategic challenges of brand building, but the mindset challenges too.
The pace of the course is designed to give you a chance to really think about the materials and complete each lesson in a way that is true to you and your business goals. It’s not about rushing through, trying to get to the next task. It is important that you consider each lesson carefully and follow the steps. That’s the only way this course will be effective for you. It works if you work it.
In 6 short weeks, we will cover:
week 1: Your Ideal Customer & Products
Why are we doing this? This has nothing to do with design! Simple. Because there is no way you can craft a brand look or a message that target the right customers if you don’t know who they are. This lesson is really the key to unlocking HOW to set your business up for success. It’s a lesson I wish I’d had 15 years ago when I was trying to do graphic design for any and everyone who would hire me. This is the piece of advice that would’ve saved me a lot of stress and worry and really opened me up to making more money a lot faster. You’ll learn:
- How even the largest retailers — who seemingly serve everyone — have an ideal customer, and how they tailor their brand design and messaging to that person, which draws in others by extension.
- Identifying your current customers and figuring out if they represent your ideal.
- How to figure out who your ideal customer is, in detail. It’s about more than serving women or serving men. What kind of man? What kind of woman? What do they like? What do they dislike?
- How to create products that best serve your ideal customers. Once you know exactly who they are and the pain points you can alleviate for them, your ideal products will reveal themselves naturally.
- Worksheets to help you think through these questions in detail.
week 2: Naming Your Business
Even if you’re already in business, this lesson can help you figure out if you’re on the right path. Naming your business is a highly personal task, but it should still be guided by specific principles and factors that can affect how well your business name — and in turn, your brand website URL — perform and resonate with your customers. You’ll learn:
- Why you should always have the final say in what you call your business — not a chorus of random people you ask for advice.
- How to identify your brand story and use that — along with the ideal customers you identified in week 1 — to help you choose a business name.
- How to brainstorm effectively.
- What you should avoid when naming your business.
- How to find out if the name you choose is already in use, and what that means for your business.
- How to choose the best possible website URL and why your domain name truly matters.
- Worksheets to help you work through your choices.
week 3: Logo & Brand Style Guide
Now we’re getting to the good stuff! Whether you have access to Adobe Illustrator and plan to design your logo on your own, or you plan to hire a designer, you’ll learn what really makes a dope logo and how to create — or guide the creation — of one. You’ll learn:
- Why your logo is NOT your brand, but still needs to be an amazing representation of it.
- How to figure out what you want your logo to say about your business.
- How to use — and not use — color in your logo.
- What will most appeal to your ideal customer, and how you can most simply and clearly communicate your message to them.
- The principles I use to create EVERY logo I design.
- The best way to approach your logo if you’ll design it yourself.
- What to request from your logo designer, to make sure your logo is versatile and ready to use however you need it.
- What fonts to avoid like the plague.
- How to create a Brand Style Guide, also known as the Holy Grail of your branding, which will direct everything from color palette to typography and overall brand mood.
- How to use your style guide moving forward to ensure your branding will stay consistent, whether you continue to work on your brand on your own or work with a designer.
week 4: Website Plan
Yes, you need a website. But understanding how to properly structure it for maximum effectiveness is infinitely more important than just having a website for the sake of it. And before you start building, you need to know WHAT to put on it. Trust me when I say that in all my years as a brand and website designer, this is where so many folks struggle. And I’m going to give you a roadmap that makes it SO much easier than going at it blind. You’ll learn:
- What information should be on your homepage, and what should not.
- How to maximize the space above the fold on your website.
- How to incorporate calls to action so they are most effective
- How to use your website as an automatic mailing list-building tool.
- How to create content that actually helps you sell rather than just fluff.
- How to know when you need the help of a copywriter.
- A comprehensive guide and checklist to help you plan.
week 5: Website Build
Now that you have a solid plan for your website content and structure, you can move on to actually building it. And while this course is not going to teach you to write code from scratch or make you a web designer overnight, it will teach you:
- How to choose the website platform that is right for YOUR business, not just what everyone else is using.
- How to choose a website host and hosting plan, if you haven’t already.
- How to choose a beautiful, functional, trustworthy website template that can look and feel custom, but more importantly, that will maximize your business goals.
- What you need to customize to make sure your website still looks unique.
- Why website templates with page builders are a good choice, and which ones are the most user-friendly.
- How photography can completely change the look of your site, and whether you need to invest in a brand photoshoot.
- A comprehensive list of resources to help you build your site.
week 6: Social Media Presence
EVERY business needs to have a social media presence — that much is obvious. But unless you have team or a social media manager, figuring out how to use it to the best advantage of your business can be a challenge. You’ll learn:
- Why it’s so important that your brand visuals on social media be consistent with the rest of your branding.
- Why visual consistency doesn’t have to mean being rigid, and you can still show up as your authentic self.
- How to plan your content for each platform to increase engagement and look amazing.
- How to figure out where your ideal customers are so you’ll know where to spend your time, energy and marketing budget.
- How going LIVE on social media and posting short-form videos like Reels and TikToks can boost your business, no matter what industry you’re in.
READY TO BUILD YOUR BRAND WITH GUIDANCE AND SUPPORT?
STILL THINKING ABOUT IT?
Well, the truth is, you can’t beat this value. You get guidance and support from a branding coach and designer with nearly 2 decades of receipts. And if you do the work, you’ll walk away from the Brand Laboratory course with ALL the tools you need to build a brand that sets you up for success.
Let’s take a moment to talk about the cost of NOT learning how to brand your business.
6 months from now, do you want your business and brand to be in exactly the same place as you are now? How about 12 months from now? 2 years?
Consider that in just 6 weeks, you can completely transform your business into a bonafide brand that you will be able to confidently sell and promote.
But just so you know it’s real:
HERE’S WHY MY CLIENTS TRUST ME:
I recently hired Jennae to help me build an entirely new platform from the bottom-up. I can say unequivocally that her outsized talent, nimble responsiveness and creativity were everything I needed and more. When you hire Jennae, you not only get a contractorâ€”you get a partner who will help transform your dreams into reality. I highly recommend her services, and will certainly tap into her expertise in the future.
— VANESSA K. DE LUCA, FOUNDER, THE EDITOR IN CHIEF
& FORMER EDITOR-IN-CHIEF OF ESSENCE MAGAZINE
I absolutely love working with Jennae. I’ve had a number of graphic designers over the years and she’s the one I’ve stuck with. I love that I can provide her with nothing more than an overarching idea and the associated text, without giving her any creative direction, and she comes back with something 100% on brand that is beautifully designed with exactly the look and feel that I want. It takes so much off my plate knowing that I can trust her creative direction when it comes to my brand aesthetic. She is a true creative director and you will not be sorry if you hire her. In a sea of folks playing around with digital art tools–who call themselves graphic designers–Jennae is a true graphic artist, who will undoubtedly uplevel the look of your brand, allowing you, as a small business, the ability to compete with Fortune 500 companies. You’ve got a lifetime client in me.
— GWEN JIMMERE, FOUNDER & CEO, NATURALICIOUS
Almost 10 months ago, set out to refresh my brand of vegan, health conscious, energy-infused hair & skin care product packaging to better reflect who the brand is, what problems it aimed to solve, and what consumers should expect. It has been a journey…I was on the hunt for top-notch designers who instantly understood my vision and vibed with me. I lucked up and found Jennae Petersen, founder of Blue Agate Creative. What a blessing. She is talented, fueled to do what’s right, and has been fantastic to work with. A true blessing. My vision has been realized and beyond. Thank you, Jennae. My pockets are kind of light lol, but it has been worth every cent.
— CARLITHEA ABRAM, FOUNDER & CEO, POLLYNATION APOTHECARY